Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle plusrss feedemail

Tuesday 22 October 2013

Broccoli and cheese soup (with hidden vegetables)

Inspired by the1337mum's easy recipes, I decided to take a leaf out of her (recipe) book when I needed to create dinner last night for the small miss from a few wilted vegetables and pantry staples. I came up with a healthier version of a broccoli and cheese soup.
 
Broccoli and cheese soup with extra hidden vegetables
 
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 carrot, diced
2 heads broccoli, chopped (don’t waste it, I also chopped up the peeled stems)
2 tablespoons vegetable stock powder
3 cups water (more or less depending on how thick you like your soup)
handful tasty cheese
  • Add the onion and garlic to a saucepan with a little olive oil. Fry until fragrant.
  • Add the chopped carrot and broccoli, stock powder and water. Let it boil, and then cook until vegetables are soft (about 10 minutes).
  • Take off the heat and blend. I used a stick blender until I was happy with the texture. I then added a handful of tasty cheese and stirred it in. No need to have it on the stove, the residual heat will melt the cheese. Season to taste.
I served the small miss’s with some rice I had already cooked in the fridge. It must have been a hit… she grabbed the spoon from my hand (evidently I wasn’t shovelling food fast enough for her taste) and proceeded to feed herself. She’s never done that before, so I was most impressed. The ever hopeful hounds circled below her feet in anticipation of the inevitable fallout.
 
 
I was quite impressed: I used up some vegetables that needed using, and created a tasty and fairly healthy meal with not much at all. Win!
 
When your cupboard takes inspiration from old Mother Hubbard, what are your go to recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment